Thursday, January 31, 2008

Roby Duke

It may be a little known fact to many, but singer-songwriter/folk/fingerstyle guitar music has been a favorite of mine for many years, though I tend to steer clear of the names that most people know (James Taylor, etc.)

Instead I have a handful of lesser known artists that I've grown to appreciate over the years: Tuck and Patti, David Wilcox, Neil Finn, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin, EmmyLou Harris, John Hiatt, etc.

One such artist that I have been influenced by over the years was a man named Roby Duke.

I was introduced to Roby (musically) by my friend, John Czerwinski, back in 1990 or 1991. I had never heard of him before, but John insisted that I take a listen to this person.

One listen was all it really took.

It was hard to find Roby's recordings (and still is to some extent), but I remember purchasing "Bridge Divine" and just getting lost listening to it as I drove around Iowa City (a habit I developed to escape for a little while).

That particular CD told much of Roby's life story. From his upbringing in Mississippi, to his struggle with friends and family, to his ultimate desire to surrender to God.

If you read Roby's story on his web site, there were some definite times of struggle. There were some definite times of doubt. Sounds like a familiar theme to the things you read here on my blog, eh? But in the end, I think Roby found himself where he longed most to be... at the feet of his heavenly father.

If you wonder why I speak of Roby in past tense... let me explain it to you: December 26th, 2007, Roby died of a heart attack in his home.

I kick myself because just a few months earlier, I met Roby at the CMS conference in Seattle. We greeted as we passed each other... he as leaving one class (which he taught) and I was attending one starting in the same room, moments later.

I had fully intended to go to some of Roby's sessions that weekend, but there were only so many times certain other classes were offered, including ones I was assisting my friend, John Carlson, in teaching.

It is hard to explain Roby's presence... he seemed to me a rugged, but gentle man who wanted nothing more than to be used by God in spite of everything. He definitely didn't fit the mold of the stereotypical worship leader/Christian musician... which I found very cool.

I remember some years back emailing Roby to ask him about the tuning on a song (Bridge Divine). To my surprise, he emailed me back and we had a nice conversation about the song. It impressed me that he was willing to do so.

Anyhow, I want to share with you three video clips of Roby from YouTube, to give you an idea of the man and his music. Maybe some of you will be influenced by what he has to say and how he says it.

The first clip is from the 2006 CMS conference in Seattle.



This second clip is a version of "Amazing Grace" that Roby performed at another CMS related conference in mid 2007. This song in particular struck a chord with me.



I've read that Roby enjoyed his last show on the 24th of December with his son. Everyone said he was smiling and couldn't be more proud sharing the stage with his own son.

Lastly, 3 days before his death, Roby shared this song with a congregation at a church. Listen to the song and enjoy the heart of the man and remember that just 3 days later, the lyrics of the song came true.



Roby - thanks for the music and thanks for the ministry... I smile at the idea of you getting your chance to touch God's very face.

In Him,
Jim

9 comments:

John Sullivan said...

i love roby duke

hey, would you happen to have the tabs to 'bridge divine'? or maybe any of his other songs (like right on time). i would really love to learn to play his stuff

Jim Coates said...

John,

I don't have any of his tabs, but I did in fact talk to Roby some time back about how he plays Bridge Divine. I could see if I can dig up the email and pass on what he told me. If I recall, its simply a Drop-D song.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Hey, could you also share what Roby talked with you about with me. I've been trying to learn his songs, but being Roby's songs, it's not the easiest thing. I would really appreciate it. thanks.

-Chris

Jim Coates said...

Chris,

When I have a moment, I'll dig up what he told me about the songs... it wasn't much, but was enough to get started!

Jim

Harris Gordon said...

Jim, I was a close friend of Duke for over 20 years; and still cant
hear his music without a teary eye.I loved to watch him eat and laugh and tell stories of missippi;there just isnt any other artist that produce such sounds and songs as Roby did;I cant wait to hear him in GLORY...... Harris

Jim Coates said...

Thanks for your comments, Harris.

I can only imagine what it was like to sit and hear Roby tell his stories.

I only knew him from afar, but his songs certainly spoke volumes about both his character and his real-life struggles and dreams.

I got the impression (from hearing him speak briefly and what I've seen in video) that he was a man that "was what he was". He didn't seem to pretend to be anything other than Roby. What a refreshing concept.

I really appreciate you stopping by.

Jim

Dan Cheeney said...

Hi Jim,
Everyone who knew Roby considered him their best friend. At his memorial in Seattle it was almost a joke how everyone who spoke started with, "Roby was my best friend." That was Dukey as I knew him or Unky Booby as my boy called him. I am listening to his MySpace right now and it's still pretty rough. If I hadn't seen Ro for a little while (we would talk nearly daily) I would just cook up some BBQ pork and let him know. He'd be at my house within hours. After he passed it didn't really sink in for almost a year. My wife and I would note that it felt like he was just gone to Ireland or Singapore or something. We expected him to come home still. Truth is he finally was. He would do anything for anyone. He just loved people. No judgement. I learned a lot from that. I still fight my synical nature and try remember his example. He had a saying. If someone had wronged him he would work himself to a place where he could say, "I wish them well" It was his way. Forgiveness without a request. Life is too short not to.

Unknown said...

I saw Roby perform in the early '90's. I heard him perform "Bridge Divine" and it so impacted me. I have had that song and that CD in my collection all this time. I regularly listen to Bridge Divine and have attempted to play it to no avail.

I did not know he past away several years ago and it made me sad to hear it as much as it made me happy to hear it. I watched his last performance and had to work at not tearing up.

Now his music has taken on new meaning to me. Thank you for the info. I would also love to know what you know about "Bridge Divine" to get started. Even if it's the chords. Again Thank you.

Alfonso

Jim Coates said...

Alfonso,

I'll see what I can turn up. Maybe I just need to sit down and work back through the song.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Jim