Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Are We Too Apathetic?

Today I was getting ready for the day and had the Weather Channel on. They were discussing the weather for tonight's space shuttle landing. I had no idea that the shuttle was landing tonight... I barely even remembered that it had been launched.

I started thinking about how "routine" it has become for our space program to take a large chunk of metal, propelled by controlled explosions and send it hurdling past the earth's atmosphere to rendezvous with other chunks of metal held in a somewhat continuous orbit in space.

I remember in Jr. High going to the school library to watch the shuttle launches and landings live... because they were such a big deal. I was even there watching live when the Challenger catastrophe happened.

My point being, the amazing feats involved with such shuttle launches and landings are no less astonishing today... we've simply become accustomed to them.

Parallel this with our walk as a Christian. Have we become so accustomed to the miracle of salvation that we treat it as common place? Are we still amazed daily at the grace provided to us by a loving God and how that has forever changed our eternity?

I might just have to have the kids sit down tonight and watch the shuttle landing.

Jim

2 comments:

Cz said...

Yesterday, my daughter Hannah came to me with, "I have something so big I can't handle it" look in her eyes. Long story short, she has two friends that she talks constantly with about Jesus and Christianity (she's a natural evangelist at heart...).

Two of her friends had just decided that they weren't going to be Christians, and that just devastated her. She couldn't believe that with all the evidence that she had brought to them that they would still reject Christ. And to be honest, she probably took it as a rejection of her. My first thought was to try and lighten the moment by saying, "Welcome to the club!", but my better judgement took over and I just spent some time encouraging and comforting her.

Your comment on the wonder and mystery of salvation is right on. We take for granted the Spirit's work in opening our hearts and minds in understanding. We give little thought that God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. We lose sight of the gift of our inheritance.

Cz

Jim Coates said...

Well said Cz...

Its a fine line between feeling "responsible" for a person's salvation versus just trying to be obedient to God. I can feel for Hannah. It just reiterates how amazing it is that even though we are rejected by man, God calls us His own.

Tell her not to lose heart... the world needs more people willing to be bold for God.

Who knows... God may have used her to plant a spark in the lives of those two friends that will be matured years down the road... sort of like when Cz pulled a young college student in to play guitar for a worship team. Who would have known that guitarist would go on to be a worship leader!! *grin*

Jim