Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mortality

This afternoon I emailed my friend Joel about some songs he and I are considering working on together. The response I received was not one that I expected.

He told me that he hasn't been able to listen to the songs yet, because a close friend of his died tragically this past week.

She was apparently trying to rescue a young girl from a river when she was overtaken by the current herself and drown.

My friend wrote a song for the funeral.

I took a listen to it tonight and was struck by the beauty of the words that he had to say about his friend.

It makes me wonder what people would say about me? It makes me wonder what I would say about the people I know? How well do I know them and how well do they know me?

It also makes me realize that your health today doesn't always equate to your life tomorrow. Sometimes God defies all earthly reasoning and keeps people like my friend Jody alive... while taking people like Joel's friend.

It puts into perspective the days that I'm too wrapped up in myself to care for others. Or the times that I bark at the kids because they aren't behaving as I expect.

How well did we use today? How much faith do we put in tomorrow?

Maybe I'll ask Joel if I can post a link to the song here. It truly is a beautiful tribute to his friend.

In Him,
Jim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet post . . . all too true.

- John C