Thursday, April 12, 2007

One Versus Ninety-Nine

Today in my reading, I came across some verses that are probably familiar to most... Luke 15:4-7. In light of my recent convictions in regard to what it is I do with my music, these verses really hit home.

How often is it that we are more concerned with the one who is lost than we are with the ninety-nine who aren't? My guess is "not nearly enough".

This isn't meant to start a debate over seeker churches/missionaries/outreaches etc... I'm talking about on a personal level. What does this mean to you and me?

I was talking to Scott via email this week about how it seems Christian musicians (that is to say a musician that is a Christian) have weakened or removed their desire to use their music as an outreach. It has become more about playing to an expectation than it has been serving a purpose or avoiding being associated with a genre in fear of someone judging your art.

If our art and our ministry are purposed toward serving God, what does that look like? Which is the better scenario; the artist who is blatant about their purpose and has no problem wearing the title of Christian artist or the artist who says that they are a believer and that their music reflects their person as a whole (thus trying to avoiding being pigeonholed into a particular genre)?

I've got friends who fall on both sides of the fence and who are all (from as much as I am capable of seeing) spirit-filled believers with a good intentioned, God-fearing heart.

Which allows us better to pursue the one versus the ninety-nine? And is that our real reason for the choices we have made?

These are sincere and honest questions, as I can truly see the purpose of both sides.

A year or so back, I adopted the position of "I am who I am in Christ and I don't really care what people label me" - meaning that if someone calls me a Christian artist, then I am... if someone calls me a Christian who is an artist (see the difference?), then I am.

The big question is did I adopt that position so that I could reach more people or so that I wouldn't have to take a stand for what I believe (possibly at the risk of the audiences who might hear my music)?

Maybe I'm guilty of leaving all one hundred?

Jim

(all bible passage links are from BibleGateway.com)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking post. I've pondered this over the years myself. While I've come to no hard and fast answers, and I've been in all facets of music from secular to high impact use of music for high impact evangelism, part of me wonders . . .

Do we perhaps take ourselves way too seriously? We're musicians after all. M-U-S-I-C-I-A-N-S. Does God also want us to be preachers? Evangelists? Does he want to "Use" our music for something that we believe has some higher purpose to make us feel better about it or "legitimize" it? Is being a musician and serving our role in life - whether that's in the church, or filling a gig in the secular world, or a life combined with both enough? Are there not better preachers and evangelists? Do preachers and evangelists try to be musicians? Sometimes I feel that what we do is a gift (life all gifts from God) that is special and unique enough that serves the purpose God had intended it for - and we should follow through with that and look at it as no more or no less.

I don't know - I'm not advocating this 100% for everyone - we all have different callings and desires, but I wonder. I've wrestled with all this for so long and have seen others, and have seen no clear-cut conclusions. Yet as I seem to get to know the character of God better over time and see how things play out in life - I sometimes feel we try to make it all so much more harder than God really wants it to be. I get the feeling that musicians of the Bible were just that - musicians - humble, skilled servants, and filling a role that needed to be filled. I guess I look at people like Abe Laboriel Sr., Alex Acuna, and Kirk Whalum. No one would call them "Christian Musicians" but they have merely been great outstanding musicians in their fields, both studio and live, who fill a role/gig - and also are Christians. They certainly don't hold back when given the opportunity to express their love for God, but I don't get the feeling that it's something they've wrestled with greatly in life. It's merely how they live and an expression of that. They're great players, they have a career, they do the gig, and they obey, honor, worship, and glorify Christ wherever they can.

Does it need to be much more than that?

Jim Coates said...

While I agree with you to some extent, John, I think the bigger question is "what are we first?" A musician or a follower of Christ?

One has to assume that being a follower of Christ is more important than being a musician.

I actually believe that we are all called (as believers) to spread the gospel... after all... the bible is full of "common men" doing God's work. What would have happened to the gospels if the attitude was "we're fishermen after all"?

My music might not have a higher purpose, but do I?

Its not so much trying to give my music a higher calling than it should have, but more so that I need to make sure that what I am doing in life is glorifying and gratifying to God over man. In doing that, I need to examine every corner of my life: my art and talents included.

In the case of the musicians you listed music is also their livelihood. That's not the case with me... its an "extra-curricular activity".

That is of course my opinion and I have without a doubt wrestled with it for years as you have.

I think the bottom line is, if we are using everything in our life toward God's glory, it would be hard to go wrong... yes?

Jim

Jason said...

I don't think you're leaving the 100... the attitude you have can reach all of them. Definitely a follower of Christ first then a musician somewhere after that.

God Bless.