Wednesday, April 11, 2007

When It Rains... It Snows?

You ever get the feeling that the harder you try to get things on track, the more impossible it seems to be?

My wife and I were discussing this the other night. We have both committed to a bible reading plan and have been having fun picking on each other as one of us gets ahead of the other during the day.

Then those little things started happening... I had a discussion with a close friend over some things that have been on my heart and received a response that wasn't quite what I expected from them... My car comes out of the repair shop with a large dollar amount of repairs, and it now looks like there are some additional things to be done, which of course means more money... Our 2 year old son, Griffin, spiked a 105 degree fever last night (which thankfully came down a few degrees), causing a chain reaction of events needing to be canceled including our daughter Grace's birthday party and a field trip to the art museum... I came up to my office to check email and I had an email about my good friend Jody's condition being less than ideal (I'll explain this in another post sometime)... Another email stated that a friend's son was checked into the hospital last night because he has been confused, disoriented and very lethargic... And to top if all off, after a few weeks of beautiful Spring weather, it is now snowing in Iowa. Weather experts predict a decent amount of accumulation and some icy roads and such.

So, what gives? Is it that our brain becomes hyper aware of our surroundings when we are trying to stay on track? Is it something deeper? A spiritual warfare of sorts? Is it God seeing if we truly are trusting Him in all matters? Is it all just coincidence?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sitting here thinking the world is caving in around me and playing the pity game... nothing of the sort. I'm very thankful for the things in my life that are both good and bad. I just find it interesting that this is the way the pattern seems to work at times and thought I'd throw it out there for comment.

Do I believe it could be a spiritual warfare thing? Sure. Do I believe it could be God allowing trial? Sure. Do I believe that it might just be coincidence? Sure. Do I believe that I have to know the reason? Absolutely not. I'm not God (nor would I want to be... wow, talk about stress!!)

I think it is a good reminder that there are lots of things that happen in life that we can't explain. Some major and some minor. I hold to the fact that if we knew why things happen to us or those around us, we wouldn't really have a need to trust God, now would we? Part of my faith is knowing that God is God and that no matter how bizarre, coincidental or painful the circumstance, He is still God.

"My hope is built on nothing less..."

In Him,
Jim

No comments: